6.26.2013

how i curl my hair

Yesterday I talked about my outfit details from Saturday, and today I'm explaining how I curl my hair. Sometimes I curl it the night before using the Sultra curling wand, but when I curl it the day of an event, I prefer to use a regular curling iron. Here's how to achieve the look...

The tools: 

1. Hot Tools 1 1/4 inch curling iron
2. Tresemme Platinum Strength Heat Protectant 
3. Kenra Volume 25 Hairspray
4. Suave Moroccan Infusion Styling Oil

The steps: Let's see how good I am at giving hair styling directions through writing!
  1. First, I spray the Tresemme heat protectant all through my hair, especially the ends. 
  2. Then, I part my hair all the way down the back of my head, diving it into two sections. 
  3. Clip the right side up and away from the other section so it doesn't get tangled. 
  4. I take the left section and divide it evenly into two sections (top and bottom).
  5. Pin the top half up. 
  6. Starting from the back, I take about a 1-2 inch piece of hair, and clamp the curling iron about 3/4 of the way up my head. (The point is to NOT start at the end and curl up. When you do that, you are focusing all the heat on the ends of the hair, and you're not distributing the heat evenly, which can cause the curls to fall faster, and that method isn't great for the ends of your hair.) Remember to also curl away from your face. 
  7. With my hair clamped, I curl up a little bit until hair is wrapped around once, then loosen the clamp (don't release the hair), then pull down a little bit, and curl up again. Repeat this all the way down to the end of the hair, until that piece is completely curled. 
  8. I just repeat this all the way around my head for each section until it's all finished. 
  9. Then you have some kinda tight curls. I run my fingers through it to loosen it up and gently twist them until they look relaxed, but still uniform. 
  10. Then I spray the ends lightly with Kenra Volume 25 hairspray. Any aerosol hair spray will work! Just don't weigh it down with too much hairspray. Less is more.
  11. Then I try to tame those flyaways. I have a few different oils/serums for this, but right now I'm trying out this Suave Moroccan Infusion Styling Oil. I focus the oil more on the ends first, and then using whatever leftover product is on my fingers, I'll smooth down the top of my head. 
So that's basically it. I have thick, mostly straight and hard to curl hair, and this method works great for me. My curls last all night, and even look great the next day. 

Hope you found this helpful. Stay tuned for tomorrow's post! xo

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous tutorial. Thanks for sharing, love. If you get a second, I'd love if you'd check out my latest photo diary. :) xo

    www.fashboulevard.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlin Charles7/08/2013

    Interesting tips, thanks for sharing!


    www.indigokat.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...